1

When I Visited My Doctor

Posted by -edz- on 5:36 PM
Today I went to meet my new primary physician for a regular check-up (and because I needed to, a requirement for something). Anyhow, while the physician was listening to my heartbeat and lungs, she noticed some heart murmurs. She asked if my previous physician ever noticed heart murmurs before then I told her no. FYI: Heart murmurs can be harmless or abnormal. Some heart murmurs can occur for a lifetime and post no harm to the individual while pathologic murmurs indicate problems such as narrowing or leaking of the valves. Hearing the latter suggests further tests and examinations.

Nothing to worry guys. I'm young and healthy. My physician said it could just be because I may not have had enough water that morning and I'm dehydrated which causes my heart to sound like that. So to be sure I had an EKG done and if something seems abnormal then she might call me next week to order an ultrasound of my heart. But I'm feeling perfectly fine so I have no worries or whatsoever.

Anyway, that is really not the purpose of this entry. I read an article a couple of days ago about a survey done by a prestigious university and the study concluded that "80 % of patients" who leave the doctor's office do not have a full or complete understanding of their condition and diagnosis. I know I do not have the direct source with me but you can quote me on that. I was shocked myself to know such a large percentage of people go in for check ups or follows up and leave without fully grasping the knowledge necessary for them to deal with their conditions.

Now what happened? It could be that the doctors failed to fully explain their diagnosis and the treatments because the patients are not asking further questions which leads the physicians to assume that the patients understand what really is happening and how to manage their conditions. So what should be done? According to the study, physicians should not only explain what the patients' conditions are but must thoroughly explain what and how the treatments or medications work. They should also include what foods and activities to do and avoid in order to restore optimum health. As for the patients, they should not just say "yes doctor" all the time, instead, they should ask questions after questions as to what should be done and why such affects their health. This type of understanding between patients and physicians should be achieved.

So the next time you go in for a check up: Do not hesitate to ask.

Photo courtesy of Wiifit Engadget

1 Comments


Hi Edz thanks for the advice! I appreciate it. And nice new blog layout! Very cool.

Copyright © 2009 There are lessons in randomness. It's our journey! All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.